Bertram Trankel, Sergeant (Feldwebel) Army Infantry and Luftwaffe bomber squadron
1) Wehrstammbuch. Official counterpart of the Wehrpass as filed by the military dictrict office.
2) Gesundheitsbuch, military medical book.
3) Two military district filing cards
4) Document for sending the Wehrpass to his father after Betram died, 28.8.42.
5) Three medical document sof military examination, x-ray etc.
Entitled to: Merit service medal 4th Class (10.4.37).
Car painter born 1913 in Neukirch living in Fürth. He served: Apr.33-Mar.34 with Infanterie-Regiment 21 in Erlangen; Mar.-Apr.34 with Fliegertechnische Schule Jüterbog; Apr.34- Dec.38 with Fliegertechnische Schule Berlin-Adlershof Dec.38-May 39 with Grosse Kampffliegerschule Tutow; Jun.-Sep.39 with 9./Kampfgeschwader 3 „Blitz“, a 1939 formed bomber squadron (Do17Z bomber planes) home based in Heiligenbeil. He died on 10.9.39 in an aicraft accident.
According to further research he was KIA 10.9.39 on a combat mission to Poland when his plane (Do17Z 5K+MT) crashed in Malbork near Marienburg after take off. Two crew members incl. Bertram were KIA and two were wounded. Bertram is listed as the pilot but this is probably incorrect and has to be observer since he was schooled for that according to the Wehrstammbuch. Other members were: Feldwebel Karl Gläsel (wounded), Bordfunker Unteroffizier August Belau (KIA) and Bordschütze Gefreiter Karl Mertinatsch (wounded). The plane was total loss (100% damage).