Large photo ship (General von) Steuben Kriegsmarine #3
1 in stock
Large photo (18x14cm) of the famous (because of its tragedy 1945) ship the (General von) Steuben. 1939-45 used by the Army as a hospital ship, accomodation ship and 1944-45 as a transport ship for wounded soldiers and refugees. This photo is from the 30’s when the ship was used by the German Lloyd in Bremen as an ocean liner. Backside with stamp of the Norddeutsche Lloyd in Bremen.
Built as the 13,325 ton coal-burning München for Norddeutscher Lloyd, with accommodation for 1079. Beginning service between Bremen and New York 23 Jun 1923, she was the first German commercial liner to port in the United States following the First World War. On 11 Feb 1930 she was gutted by fire and sank at Pier 42 in New York. Re-floated and given temporary repairs in Brooklyn, then sailed to Bremen for rebuilding. She emerged as the oil-fired General von Steuben with tonnage and accommodation as shown. She resumed Bremen-Southampton-New York service through 1934, then shifted to use as a cruise ship. In 1938 her name was shortened to Steuben. Taken over by the Kriegsmarine as an accommodation ship in 1939. Used as a transport in the Baltic starting in Aug 1944, evacuating wounded from the eastern front. On route from Pillau to Kiel with 2500 wounded, 2000 refugees, and 450 crew, she was torpedoed by Russian submarine S-13 just before midnight 10 Feb 1945 and sank in 15 minutes with the loss of approximately 3000 lives.